The Origin of Our Product
In accordance with the provisions of the Product Specifications approved by the Italian Parliament and the EU, we process fresh legs coming only from heavy Italian Duroc, Landrace and Large White pigs, born and bred in the Po region. Indeed, due to the cheese factories producing Parmigiano Reggiano and Grana Padano, the animals can be fed with whey, a high value-added precious protein supplement, which is essential for the high-quality meat.
At the birth of the piglet, each leg is marked with a tattoo providing the identification code of the breeder recognised for the supply chain, province and the month of birth. This indelible tattoo is the ID of each prosciutto – a characteristic that only the Italian production and health system ensures.
Our legs come only from slaughterhouses authorised for PDO production. After a careful check by the inspectors of the Certification Institute recognised by MIPAAF, the incoming legs undergo a further rigorous selection. Each leg is then affixed with the metallic seal of the Consortium of Prosciutto Veneto DOP: this mark indicates month and year of the processing start date, and it is a mandatory prerequisite for final certification.
The Authentic DOP
Prosciutto Veneto DOP
Law of 4 November 1981 N. 628 Art. 1 “The name Prosciutto Veneto (Berico Euganeo) is reserved for the prosciutto whose production stages, from salting to complete maturing, take place in the production area geographically identified in the area comprising the municipalities of Montagnana, Saletto, Ospedaletto Euganeo, Este, Noventa Vicentina, Sossano, Sarego, Lonigo, Alonte, Orgiano, Pressana, Roveredo di Guà, Pojana Maggiore, Barbarano and Villaga, with its organoleptic and product characteristics depending on the conditions of the production environment and on particular production methods”.
In 1996, the EU gave Prosciutto Veneto Berico-Euganeo PDO status, a recognition guaranteeing the very close link between production and geographical area.
Here’s how to recognise our authentic Prosciutto Veneto DOP Attilio Fontana:
- the tattoo of the breeding farm of origin and suitability of the legs, affixed on each piglet within one month of birth;
- the identification code of the slaughterhouse authorised for PDO production, consisting of a letter and a two-digit number;
- the hexagonal metallic seal of the Consortium of Prosciutto Veneto affixed when entering the ham factory, indicating the month and year of the processing start date;
- the Consortium’s mark, affixed on the rind once the characteristics of the legs have been verified by the Certification Body. It shows St. Mark’s Lion and the identification number of the production plant – in our case, number 11;
- the Attilio Fontana label in our unmistakable pastel green colours – the guarantee of a top-quality prosciutto;
- CE marking, the mark certifying the compliance of our product with the essential health requirements for sale in the European Union.